The Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital offers a comprehensive oncology service for children with cancer and their families.
The service operates within the Anglia Cancer Networkas a shared care centre with Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge. The Paediatric oncology service based in Norwich is the largest shared care centre in the region. In addition to providing high quality anti cancer treatments (chemotherapy), full supportive care for medical, emotional and holistic needs are provided.
What does this mean for our children and families?
The majority of chemotherapy and supportive care that children with cancer require is provided in Norwich. This means that children and their families do not have to regularly travel to Cambridge.
- All day care chemotherapy infusions for children under 16 years of age undergoing active treatment for cancer on the Children’s Day Ward
- Weekly Consultant led Oncology Outpatient Clinics. This clinic is supported by nurse specialists, a CLIC Sargent social worker, paediatric dietician, play specialists, and a hospital chaplain
- Quarterly clinics with a visiting paediatric oncologist and paediatric haematologist from Addenbrooke’s
- 24/7 open access policy for urgent medical review of chemotherapy and disease related complications. Children that require admission are nursed in designated side rooms within the hospital
- Nutritional support including home enteral feeding service provided by paediatric dietetics
- This clinic is supported by a dedicated child psychologist
- Home visits and school visits by Nurse Specialists.
Wiggly support group for parents
The group meets on the first Wednesday of each month in the ‘Big C’ Family Cancer Information and Support Centre at 7:30pm. The group aims to provide peer support to parent and carers of children and young people with cancer and also peer support and friendship to teenagers and young people with cancer. The group also organises activities such as quiz nights and a Christmas party so parents can meet each other informally. The group is run by parents in conjunction with the CLIC Sargent social worker. www.wigglysupportgroup.co.uk
- The ‘Big C’ cancer information and family centre on site
- Spiritual care is available to any patient/parent requiring emotional care and support outside of the care offered by their doctor or nurse. Whilst this service covers religious care including advise on how to access other religious leaders, spiritual non-religious care is also offered
- A transition service for leukaemia and lymphoma patients to the adult service for patients with haematological conditions. Transitional care for young people with solid tumour is under development
- End of life care and bereavement support for patients and families in conjunction with the Children’s Hospice team at Quidenham.
How to access our services
- Consultant Paediatrician (Lead): Dr Ponnampalam Tel: 01603 287622
- Consultant Paediatrician (Deputy Lead): Dr Soman Tel: 01603 287622 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nurse Specialists: Rosie Larkins and Kate Stanton Tel: 01603 287852
- CLIC Sargeant Social Worker: Vicky Whitney Tel: 01603 286267 / 07824346137
- Paediatric Specialist Dietitian: Paula Corney Tel: 01603 287011
- Quidenham Hospice Team: Tel: 01953 888603
- Child Psychologist: Dr Kiki Mastroyannopoulou
- Hospital Chaplaincy: Tel: 01603 287470 Leaflet available for families within the Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital. Chaplaincy
- Weekly oncology consultant led clinics Wednesday 2-6pm (including new referrals)
- Off treatment/long term follow up clinics monthly as below:
- 4th Tuesday 4-7pm Dr Soman
- 3rd Tuesday 1-4pm Dr Ponnampalam
Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) meetings
- Core MDT meetings: Weekly Monday’s 12:15-13:00hrs
- Extended MDT meetings (with teleconferencing to the Principal Treatment Centre): Monthly 1st Wednesday 14:00hrs-15:00hrs
Current clinical trials include research into childhood leukaemia, brain tumours and other solids tumours. All oncology patients are offered the opportunity to participate in national clinical trials where available. Research is done in accordance with a specific, signed research and development agreement between NNUH and Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
All Paediatric clinical guidelines are on the NNUH Trust intranet. This includes the regional Paediatric Oncology Supportive Care Guidelines. All other oncology treatment protocols used are easily accessed from the Anglia Cancer Network website www.angliacancernetwork.nhs.uk
Dr Ponnampalam is Shared Care Audit lead for the Anglia Cancer Network. Paediatric Oncology at the Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital is actively involved as part of this process in conducting regional audits. Local audits are also performed to ensure compliance with recommended published standards and ways in which local cancer care may be continually improved. Emphasis is also given to patient/parent satisfaction surveys and ongoing improvement in services based on user suggestions.
Teaching and Training
Teaching and training for both medical and nursing staff is given high importance. Consultants Jo Ponnampalam and Archana Soman are both actively involved in the training of junior and middle grade doctors’ education as part of the regular teaching programme to medical staff. Nurse specialists Rosie Larkins and Kate Stanton are both involved in nurse education and training. They ensure that essential oncology topics are covered during Trust mandatory training sessions on a regular basis, maintaining cytotoxic administration skills of nurse colleagues and enhancing knowledge base in oncology of Paediatric nurses within the Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital. In addition, the Paediatric oncology core team members actively participate in combined regional teaching sessions within the Anglia Cancer Network .
Please note: 24/7 opening times for emergencies
- Consultant Led service for Paediatric Oncology Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
- Nurse Specialists Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm ( phone messages checked regularly)
- Dietetic service Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
- CLIC Sargant Social Worker Monday 12 – 5pm Wednesday 08:30am – 5pm Thursday 08:30am – 5pm (phone messages can be left at anytime)
- Children’s Assessment Unit Open 24/7
- Children’s Day Ward Monday – Friday 7am – 6pm
- Buxton Children’s Ward Open 24/7